Thursday, October 21, 2004

And then time stood still....

Today the clock in my car broke. It’s not a new car, so most of its parts are from 1989, which makes events like this not so surprising, but it’s always weird how things just go from working to not working all of a sudden. Something invisible just breaks or shifts and what used to be simply is no longer. Call me superstitious, but it seems like there is change in the air; like my clock that simply gave up on the time, so the world seems to be full of uncommon events: the Red Sox are 3 outs away from a historic comeback and World Series appearance. Could a Kerry upset of Bush be far behind?

Today was my first official early shift, where I left for the office alone at 8am, and came home alone around 8pm. Robert left a bit later and came home a bit later. It makes us both more productive, both at home and in the office. I’m exhausted, however, and I won’t be able to pull this off for even 13 more days without some sleep. The office is really humming along now. It seems to have reached almost a critical mass, where it seems like there are enough people around to do the necessary tasks. The mood is very upbeat.

It seems as if the absentee ballot request crunch has ended—today I only took in about a dozen requests. Our rides-to-the-polls program is now up and running; granted, it’s a few days late, but better late than never. Of all the things I have learned over the last month, one of them is that things happen, but not always exactly when you would have ideally wanted them to happen. But the bottom line is that we are getting the job done. I was thinking how many hours all together all of the volunteers will have put in over the course of the campaign, and it is pretty astronomical. The kind of willingness that so many people have shown to give of themselves and their time makes me believe that the spirit of democracy is indeed alive and well in this country. It really is amazing on a certain level to build an office that is overwhelmingly full of volunteers. I feel quite privileged to be a part of it.

And Boston is going to the World Series. See, miracles do happen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home