Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Beers and Bush

We are watching the debate at the office here tonight. It’s fun, but I’m sure I’m driving everyone nuts with my shout-out commentary. I can’t help it!

I find myself feeling the same way about this debate as I have about the other: Kerry is doing great, and I can’t understand why Kerry isn’t simply trouncing Bush in the polls. Though the trends indicate that Bush is falling and Kerry is gaining, which is very good for us.

These moments of awe over how absolutely important it is to be here, doing this campaign right now provide a drastic contrast to my general feeling of incredulity (and at times, rage) of how hopelessly mismanaged things are. A sort of us-against-them attitude seems to be developing between me and others in the office based on my general distaste for chaos and poor communication. It is oh-so-easy to say ‘we’ll just do this’ without thinking about how it gets done, and by whom. Robert and I have processed and delivered about 200 absentee ballots requests to the Supervisor of Elections office that were about to be the victims of this kind of approach. I spent a bunch of today trying to provide a similar rescue for the poll watcher program; no one had been regularly communicating with a volunteer who had offered to coordinate the certifications of poll watchers, and it turns out she doesn’t have enough people. The deadline for certification is Tuesday, and once certified, these people must participate in a training session.

I’m sure I’m seen as uptight, the one who overreacts to small matters instead of just rolling with the punches. I’m sure they see me as old and rigid. But while the optimism and can-do attitude of youth is wonderful, and probably essential to a campaign, not thinking about how making a decision effects the entire system, and not planning, and not following through on things to make sure they are being done, these are sure-fire roads to failure. And if I get upset about that I think it’s understandable way: we cannot afford to fail here.

It’s almost 12am and we’re still here, and I’m sure we won’t be sleeping in tomorrow. These are going to be 20 long, tough days….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home