Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Victory Day!

What a birthday this is turning out to be. I’m barely functioning on just over a hour of sleep (3:30-4:30am). What took so long was preparing the 20 lines for the lawyers and the situation room; it must be Murphy’s Law to have the unexpected crop up when you start preparing too late in the game. But we delivered a functional situation room to coordinate county results and the “boiler room” for the legal team, which is really just a corner of the original main office space. Although I’m confident more voters want Kerry to be president, there are problems throughout the county, which isn’t good. I don’t want to go into too many details now, since I suppose it is privileged information of a sort.

I’ve spent most of the day hiding out in the copy room, since I don’t have the energy to deal with the chaos on the field side of the curtain. We have managed to keep the operations side relatively clear of unnecessary people, so it is comparatively calm here today. I’m too tired to feel bad about not running around like a crazy person. I figured I delivered when I had to, and my role now is more of support than initiation.

We gotta win, but once the polls close I’m taking a nap before going to stare down the news until the wee hours. I don’t have much hope we’ll have anything conclusive this evening, but at least we will be able to celebrate the end our very, very long haul. It feels surreal almost that we’re here, it really is Election Day. But that could be mostly the effect of sleep deprivation—I’ve gotten a total of 9 hours in the past 3 nights, I’d say. Speaking of which, I’m going to try to catch a power nap on my desk here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home